Monday, July 25, 2011

I'm Back!

Wondering where I've been?  Well, I have still been stalking reading blogs, but have had to resist the urge to do a big post because I had to get my butt in gear with grad school.  I've taken classes all summer and I think I used up all of my motivation during Summer I.  I just had no motivation during Summer II.  It also does not help that I discovered all of these wonderful blogs during Summer II and would literally spend hours perusing the internet and not working on my papers.  The next thing I know, my husband is calling to tell me he's on his way home and I've gotten nothing accomplished!  I also just took the PRAXIS II: Teaching Reading this past Saturday so I was busy studying for that as well.  Anyways, I am pretty much done now, so I feel I have some freedom. 

I am beyond all kinds of excited to find out that I can (possibly...fingers crossed!) get into my classroom tomorrow.  I have been by here and there to drop off my multiple thrifty shopping finds.  HOWEVER, and this is a big one...my room stinks.  Like, smells terrible.  I could barely stomach being in there to drop off my stuff and don't know how I'll be able to work in there for hours upon hours.  The problem is most of the room is carpeted.  It used to be a TMD classroom with lots of, er, accidents.  The AC has been off a while.  Get my drift?  They were supposed to shampoo the carpets, but true to what I heard, that is not happening.  So I plan to go in armed with spray good smells, my Shark Vacuum Cleaner (LOVE!), and some Arm & Hammer Carpet Deodorizer.  We'll see how it goes.  I do have a few awesome buys to show you.  Keep in mind, most of it is already at my school.  This is just what I had here and what I might have bought today ;)

First up, Target.  Can I just say how much I love Target.  I know I'm not alone in my obsession love for  the Bullseye.
Here's what you see:
  • 3 Finger Pointers----> Dollar Bin!
  • 5 Storage Boxes.  Regularly $5.99;  on sale for $5.00
  • Blue Storage Box.  Don't even get me started.  I have looked everywhere for a blue or green.  I got 5 a long time ago, but had to get 2 yellows.  I finally came to grips with the fact that I would just have to spray paint one of the yellow ones.  Anyways, I finally found this and was in heaven!  I plan to do this with them.  I know some of you have pictures of this on your blog of how you've done this in your classroom.  I of course cannot seem to remember whose blog I saw this on so please let me know if it was yours :)
  • Pom-Poms and pipe cleaners (also dollar bin!)
  • 4 small pencil sharpeners (one for each group)
  • Googly eyes (I want to create a Mr. Spacer)
  • Fabric book covers.  I got one of each size because I'd also like to do this.  I'm just not sure which size I'll need.
Next, Staples.  Can I just say how much I love Staples back to school sales?  This is what I picked up today:

Here's what I got:
  • Avery Tabs (pre-numbered!).  I will use these either for my communication log or data notebook.  I have a very transient population so it's much easier for me to assign numbers and organize information and data that way.
  • 10 folders for $.10 each
  • 2 packs of erasers for $.10 each
  • 2 packs of white out for $.50 each
  • 2 packs of black sharpies for $.25 each
  • 2 packs of paper clips for $.50 each
  • Bright poster markers (can't remember how much)
I also used my 15% off card...sweet!

Wal-Mart...I consider it a necessary evil.  This is what I picked up
The blue tub was only $3!  I was pretty excited about that.  I'd like to do something like this with it (scroll down to clipboard storage).  The binder I got to put on my desk to organize papers I get throughout the day.  I swear, I have GOT to start pinning all of these ideas.  I got this idea from a fabulous blogger.  I'll try to find the source later.

Ikea:  I was super excited to go there.  It was my first time and I picked these up for my classroom:
I'm not sure what I'll do with the plastic bins yet, but I'm SURE they'll find a home in my classroom.  In the back are book/magazine bins that my students will use as their book baskets.

I've also been going through my files and have some things you might like.  Check them out and hopefully you can use them!

This is what I keep on my clipboard.  It is extremely helpful for the end of the day when it comes time to write down why little Johnny is on Think About It instead of Outstanding. :)

Update:  I changed the following into PDFs.  For those of you who use the clip chart in your classroom, this is a chart I glue in their communication logs every week.  I reduce the size to about 80% so it will fit in their journal
I apologize in advance if these links don't work.  I've been having a lot of trouble with Google Docs this afternoon.  If you would like for me to email you a copy customized with your name & class at the top, leave a comment and let me know! 

Okay, I have already written WAY too much, but it feels good to be back!  Please feel free to comment or e-mail me with any questions or comments you have!  Thanks for sticking with me! :)

2 comments:

Ashley said...

You were on a roll with your back to school shopping!

Miss B said...

Thanks for sharing! Looks like your summer has been similar to mine, down to the shopping and everything!
Miss B, Busy Bee

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...