Thursday, May 31, 2012

Requests and Moving

Hey y'all!  TGIF!

I know some of you are already enjoying your sweet summertime and I am oh so close!  We have ONE more half day tomorrow and then Monday is a teacher workday.  It hasn't really sunk in yet that school is over.  I don't know why.  It should since I'm moving rooms...again!

I moved rooms last year and now I'm moving again. 

I asked the principal about boxes, since we were provided with boxes last year.  He hadn't ordered any and reminded me that it was good to purge.

I told him purge is not in my vocabulary at work.  However, I have gotten rid of some things.  I've been hanging on to some things from when I taught 5th.  I don't have any intention to go back to 5th, so I gave it all away. 

I plan to use child labor my sweet little kiddos to help move most things out of my room tomorrow morning.  Do you have to switch rooms?  I'm quite jealous of those of you who don't!

One thing that was kind of exciting happened yesterday during our awards ceremony.  Our janitor called me over and led me out of the cafeteria.  Waiting for me was a second grade girl and her mom.  The mom requested that her daughter be in my class next year!  I was so excited...I love when parents do that!

Then, after school, I was talking to one of my kids parents and she thanked me for my work with her child.  She even asked if I was going to move up to 4th grade!  SO nice! 

Have you ever had parents request you as their child's teacher?  How did you feel about it?

Thanks so much to everyone who has linked up to my first linky!  I love checking out all of your responses.  I promise I will get to yours if I haven't yet :)  If you haven't joined...what are you waiting for?!

Photobucket

8 comments:

meghan said...

I'm not switching rooms, but since I'm team-teaching next year, my friend is moving into my room. Which means I need to get rid of stuff. She calls me a hoarder, until she asks for something [such as unused scholastic news articles from 2009] hat I've held onto!

I'd actually almost rather move rooms so that we can start fresh, ya know? But at least you have your little workers bees to get you started!

Meg
Third Grade in the First State

Lisa R. said...

Ugh I hate moving classrooms. I've moved 5 out of the 7 years that I've been teaching. Not a fun task. I have received quite a few parent requests over the past few years. It definitely is an honor & makes me feel good that I'm viewed as a good teacher by others. It sounds like you are a fabulous teacher who has a lot of kids that adore you!!

Lisa
Learning Is Something to Treasure

Chrissy + Nate said...

Yay: another year in the books! I'm the only Kindergarten teacher at our school, so they all "get" to have me! Gotta love private school :)

Jill said...

I am not changing rooms but I did change grades so it was a lot easier. Good luck with the move. Ii have had parents request me but I try to never say anything cause some teachers get really mad if they are not requested. I am flattered but it's fine if they don't choose me.
Jill

Ms. Wold said...

I HATE moving rooms, I have had to move a pack up my classroom every year so far. I'm switching from K to 2nd and I had a parent ask me "who do I have to pay off to make sure D (his son) is in your class?".

✪ Miss W

Miss W Teaches

Bonnie Walton said...

Meghan, how funny! There are 2 teachers at my room who are going to be team teaching next year so they are having to do the same thing! I agree, I may be a hoarder, but you can count on my to have what you need. Lisa, you are so sweet! Glad to know I'm not the only one who moves frequently!

Jackie said...

I have to move again this year, but I'm not alone! We have an elementary building and a middle school building...and we're switching! Yes, switching! Everyone, P-8, except for one person has to move! I taught kindergarten my first year, and I'll have those kids in 3rd grade next year, and I'm probably a little too excited. Our school doesn't really take requests, but one mom told me that she requested me, and a couple of others have said that they hope their child is in my room again. It is very flattering, and makes me feel good about that first year of teaching!

Now to get to the point...I love your blog! So, I've given you the One Lovely Blog Award! Stop by my blog to see all of the details in my latest post!

Jackie

Third Grade's A Charm

Katie said...

I don't know if I'm moving classrooms, but I'm moving grade levels. My principal tends to shift people around a lot (she is a big fan of looping), so the final layout of grades hasn't been decided at school. So... I get to pack up like I'm moving classrooms - just in case.

This is my first year teaching so I don't have any experience with parents requesting me, but I was required to send a letter home with every parent because I'm looping to 3rd with my class. I had to give them the option of opting out of the loop. I thought FOR SURE one parent was going to - because we have battled all year about her son. I was SOOOOO excited when she said yes. Her son can be "difficult," but it feels awesome to know the parent wants him in my class after all the disagreements we have had.

Good luck moving and enjoy your summer!

Katie
Dirty Hands and Lesson Plans

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...