Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The First Couple of Days

Whew!  I made it through my second day with the kiddos.  I only have six students this year.  I am not a special education teacher, but I teach Third Grade Academy which provides interventions for students who are not reading on grade level.  Last year, I started off with 7 and then we lost our other 3rd grade teacher.  There's still some aprehension about that happening this year, but this year Title I is funding our program instead of the district, so we're keeping our fingers crossed.  With that said, I only have 6, but I have six active new friends!  One had a crying breakdown all afternoon yesterday, but today was fabulous!  I definitely feel like I need to go back to the chiropractor...my neck is killing me!  However, I haven't been in over a year and I know I'd have to go 2-3 times a week, which I just don't think I can do once grad school starts back up next week.  Anyways, I took some pictures of my room to show you.  If I forgot to give you credit for your idea, please let me know in the comments section.  I stalk read so many blogs it's hard to remember where I saw everything! :)


My behavior chart.  I was inspired by the one here.


Our classroom jobs and reading strategies.  I got the signs here.  Someone else blogged about these as well, but I can't remember who.


This is our writing process chart.  I don't have them up yet, but students use clothespins with their number on it to move through the writing process.  I'm honestly not sure how much this will be used this year, as we don't have a formal writing block;  rather, it is integrated throughout the subject areas. 


This picture has a lot going on!  We have our clock times around our clock.  I modeled mine after Mrs. Lemons.  Check hers out here.  I've done this in past years, but just always used small post it notes.  I like this much better, even if it does crowd around our small clock!  I've seen a lot of people using the Important Times around the blogosphere then I saw Mrs. Lochel use the foam clocks from the Target Dollar Bin.  Genius!  I could do that...I wouldn't be good at drawing them though :)


This is our agenda for the day.  I am loving this and am so glad I did this this year.  Last year, I hand wrote everything (it looked just like the Wonderful Wednesday & Lunch/Recess).  However, I quickly realized how much that stunk, so I came up with this.  Today I made the days & Lunch/Recess so it will be concise.  However, I hate to admit that my laminator is on the brink of death (I think).  Our school laminator is broken so I was a laminating fool this past weekend.  Sunday afternoon, I looked over and realized a sheet was going in, but nothing was coming out.  I didn't react in time to get it back, so the hubby and I performed surgery on it.  It worked fine afterwards, but it just tried to eat my Lunch/Recess label...argh!  I really love my laminator and would hate to have to buy another one!  Okay, I got wayyyyyy off topic there!


We decided on our Class Rules Expectations together.  Then, we all signed!  Once our laminator is back up and working, it'll be laminated.


These are our community supplies.  Each student has supplies at their desk, but these are extras if they need them.


Bits and Pieces about me...I realize some of them are curling...oh well!

Okay, this post is certainly long enough and I am off to bed (at only 8:30!).  I hope everyone has had a great start to their school year or you're enjoying your last bit of summer :)  See you soon!
Photobucket

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...