Thursday, April 26, 2012

Behavior Fairy?

TGIF. 

I have had an IEP meeting e-v-e-r-y single day this week. 

My meetings on Monday and Tuesday were during my planning period at 8:45.

Yesterday, my meeting was at 1:30.  My planning is at 8:45, so I needed someone to watch my kids.

I have an associate teacher who is in my room for at least half the day.  We both provide reading and math interventions daily to all of my kids.  So she is obviously very familiar with them.  Normally during this time, she is with the other third grade teacher helping during centers.  The principal said to have her watch them and it would be good practice for her (she'll be a first year teacher next year).

So, off I went to my IEP meeting.  I told my kids I wasn't sure if I would be back in time for dismissal, so I told them to have a good evening, do their homework, and behave for the associate teacher.

Sure enough, I was not back in time for dismissal.  I headed up to my room around 2:30 and asked the associate teacher how it went. 

"Great, up until the last 5 minutes."

Not what you want to hear.

Turns out there was a fight in my room.  I'm talking one kid pinned against the wall fight.  She said she called and buzzed the office and no one came. 

I was in shock.  They were FINE when I left.  What on earth caused this?!

I pulled both boys outside in the hall this morning and asked them what happened.

In science, they were talking about mimicry (a defense adaptation animals have) and I guess the kids were mimicing each other.  Well, Student A kept mimicing Student B.  Over

and over

and over.

So, Student B got mad.  Evidently, Student B threw his book bag at Student A.  Then, the fight went into full swing.  Student A eventually had Student B pinned against the wall. 

They were obviously written up. 

Okay, I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I just don't get it.  I've told my kids time and again that I am not a Behavior Fairy who sprinkles magic fairy dust on them to behave.  I pride myself on having a good relationship with my kids and for the most part, my class is well behaved.  If they're not, I can get them in control quickly.  So I just don't understand it.  I mean, it was only 45 minutes! 

I know that when kids aren't with their teacher, they act differently, but she's in our room daily for probably half of the day!

So, what happens when you're gone?  Do your kids lose all knowledge of proper behavior when you're not right-there-with-them-at-all-times?
I am so glad tomorrow is Friday.  It's our field day and I am in it to win it!  I told my kids to come ready to win.  I am ultra competitive and it may rival my freakishness around all things Carolina Football.

However, I am not looking forward to dealing with my mess of a room!  I had an IEP meeting at 2:30 this afternoon that lasted until 3:10.  Then, I had to book it to another meeting that started at 3:00!  Busy Busy Busy.  (I hope you read that like Professor Hinkle.  If not, go back and do it again :)
Photobucket

5 comments:

Chrissy + Nate said...

I had a conversation like that yesterday with two boys! "Mrs. ____ is an adult too, a teacher too. You need to listen to her just like you listen to me." Like you, I know they act differently when I'm not there- but still! Summer countdown... summer countdown...

Unknown said...

ahh, IEP season is crazy...

My kiddos are always a little off when Im not around.

Jessica said...

I'm so glad I found your blog! I am your newest follower:) Stop by and visit me...

learnplayandhavefun.blogspot.com

Karlie said...

I FEEL YOU ON SOOO MANY LEVELS!!! Yesterday I had a (single) re-eval meeting, 2 hours and 10 minutes (after school)!!!!! ARG!!!!

I also feel you on the students going crazy. I've been out a lot for testing, sick, personal days, and workshops this month and I have documented proof that my students' behavior is worse when I'm gone:(

I don't get it. I guess it's our love and sunshine they are missing while we're gone;) HAPPY FRIDAY:-D


We are ALL Special!

Elizabeth said...

That kind of thing can just about throw your whole week...but don't let it.

Have a terrific weekend!

Elizabeth

Fun in Room 4B

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...